recent projects
3/21/2012 | Author: kate
It seems like I've been doing a lot of sewing lately, which is fun and a much needed creative outlet for me.

I started with a baby blanket for some good friends who had their first baby a couple months back...a sweet little girl!
 I love how pretty all the blues, greens and yellows look with brown
 all of my blankets pass the Ollie test of approval...he LOVES these blankets and will try to carry them around the house and snuggle them when I'm not looking.  
 here's Joshy holding up the entire blanket

Next I give you:
My crowning achievement in blanket making thus far:
My first scrappy quilt (with many more to come...it was so much fun to make!):
 This is a special quilt that I made for our new nephew Jackson who was born in December to Brent's younger sister and her husband.  When I heard that their baby was coming to them with spina bifida I  knew that I wanted to make them a special blanket.  I asked her what colors she wanted and she told me to make it colorful!  How fun!  I got some of the squares from my friend SewSara's etsy shop, and I cut the rest of them myself, added a border, backed it with some cuddly minky (which will probably be too hot for where they live right now :-o), and I used SewSara's tutorial (this is a great tutorial!) for appliqueing Jackson's name on the bottom.  I hope that he'll love this blanket his whole life!
 
here's a close up of some of the squares and the diagonal quilting I did with my machine

not great pictures...but another example of Ollie loving on the baby blanket!

Here is a sample of fabrics that I've been collecting, which I think will be gorgeous together in a quilt for my living room...for those days where you want to cuddle by the fire (I had a lot of those days this winter because I was SO COLD in my first trimester!)...and I have been needing a cute blanket which matches my living room's colors.
 I'm excited about this project...
but first, I'm finishing a special quilt for Elsa...
it's been on my shelf for the past two and a half years and my heart needs me to finish it now.
(Pictures to come.)

Here's a little maternity t-shirt re-do/re-purpose whatever you want to call it:
 I wish I had a before picture, but basically the little square graphic came from an itty-bitty maternity t-shirt that I bought online, on sale toward the end of Oliver's pregnancy.  The website told me: one size fits most.  Ha!  Hahahahahahahahaha!!  When I got it, it was more like: one size fits a teeny, tiny x-small teen pregnant mama.  I'm telling you!  There was nothing about it that was one size fits most! It was smaller than my non maternity shirts and was not at all stretchy to accommodate a bigger size!  Seriously, I wear a medium or a large...so I consider myself to fit into the "one size fits most" category!  Anyway...I had this idea many moons ago to re-purpose my kids most beloved t-shirts that they outgrow by cutting out the graphic and simply sewing it on a bigger shirt.  Very easy!  I never actually got around to doing it for my kids, but I went and bought a big old white maternity shirt from a re-sale store and I appliqued the graphic from that tiny shirt onto this gap t-shirt.  Now it'll actually fit me at the END of my pregnancy, when I'm actually nesting.  :) 

Here's my last project, for now:
A big, old Eddie Bauer comfy, cotton dress that I bought on clearance at the outlets many moons ago, but never wore because it was extremely large.  I just couldn't make myself get rid of it because I like the colors and the fabric is so soft.  I always imagined re-purposing it someday into a maternity dress.  Well, I finally did that by taking a few inches off the opening of the collar and gathering the bodice above the belly for a more flattering fit.
 Before and after
I really wanted this dress to be a long, flowy summer dress...but alas, it is not quite long enough to be maxi-length.  I think I'm going to have to hem it to just below my knees, but I haven't decided yet.

 this gathering is really, super easy to do with that stretchy, elastic thread in your bobbin and regular thread on the top.

I wish I could say Happy Springtime, but where we are the weather has been so difficult lately!  We finally got our first snow last week and we got some more today.  Other than that it's been raining all the time.  I feel jipped because when we came up here 5 years ago (!) to search for a house in March, it was so warm we were wearing shorts!  That's the kind of spring weather I thought I was signing up for!  Hopefully the sun will come out next week for spring break!
This entry was posted on 3/21/2012 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On March 21, 2012 at 6:17 PM , ashley said...

Love the scrappy quilt. I need to get brave and do it.

 
On March 25, 2012 at 9:04 PM , Rachel said...

Everything you write just makes me want to be your neighbor. I love you.

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...