angel mamas
1/03/2010 | Author: jefferies
Hi.  I haven't written much about Elsa lately.  I feel that I have so much to catch up on with just "the life" blog posts, that my feelings can wait...but I've been reading other angel mama blogs tonight and I went back and re-read Elsa's story and tonight I'm just feeling it...and I WANT to feel it.

First of all, I have to give a shout out to all of the incredible angel mamas out there and your sweet angel babies.  Thanks for telling it like it is, good or bad.  It is incredibily important for others who follow to not feel isolated and alone.  And reading all of your experiences has been incredibly insightful.  I have only introduced myself to a few of you, but if your blog is linked from Alexis' and/or Preslie's blogs then I have taken a peek or two at your blog.  I apologize for not introducing myself properly.  But thanks again for your real experiences.  You are all an incredible force for good, and I wish that I could meet every one of you in person.

I am at a point in my healing progression where I am fine.  I still think of Elsa all the time.  I still have the nursery up and I like to sit in there and think about her.  I feel her spirit close, but the lack of her physical body leaves a pretty big hole in my heart.  But I am fine.  I am enjoying life here.  I am grateful to be alive.  I LOVE the rest of my family and we are enjoying some great times.  Lately I have felt conflicted between these two feelings...being fine and having a hole in my heart.  How can I feel both ways at the same time?  How can life go on without Elsa here and I be happy?  Well, I am happy.  And sad.  And that's the way it's going to be for the rest of my life, I'm sure.

I've been reflecting a lot about my time with Elsa.  As I've gone back and re-read the blog entries from when she died, I've realized that there are a lot of feelings that I had left out.  Mostly because I only identified them in hindsight.

For one thing, when I was pregnant with Elsa I never felt that she was going to be a part of our life here.  I was hesitent any time I bought something for her.  At the time I thought that it was because the ultrasound was wrong and it was going to be another boy.  But looking back I realize the only thing I bought for her was her blessing dress.  Nothing else was meant for her.  Nothing else is hers.  Unlike my other pregnancies, I never felt the 'nesting' sensation.  It took all the strength of my rational mind to get her nursery together.  Once again, I blamed that on other things...the heatwave was the biggest culprit there.

 Here's the thing though, when THAT moment came where there was no heartbeat...I knew.  I JUST KNEW.  I knew it was the plan.  It was like a blanket of confoundment was lifted off my brain, and there I was, consoling the birth team.  Looking back, I know that was the holy ghost surrounding me with a blanket of peace and understanding.  I am very aware of the fact that Elsa was there, watching me birth her body perfectly into the world.  I did just the job that I needed to do.  All of the experiences I had up to that point prepared me for what was to come, even though I didn't know it at the time.  So life goes on...  But the hole is still there.  And I am fine with it being a permanent part of me.    
This entry was posted on 1/03/2010 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 comments:

On January 4, 2010 at 9:36 AM , Sara said...

bless you! it's so brave and beautiful for you to share your feelings about Elsa. lots of hugs. xoxo

 
On January 4, 2010 at 11:42 AM , Kylie said...

That was beautiful Kate. You have such a great insight. You are very inspiring!

 
On January 4, 2010 at 12:34 PM , Ariana said...

We will never forget Elsa...even though she's not mine, I kinda feel like she's forever in my heart too. I can't wait for the giant family reunion after we're done with our earth life -- I can't wait to meet her! And Aunt Marg's stillborn baby, and Uncle Rob's baby that only lived a couple days. What a big party that will be....

 
On January 4, 2010 at 5:53 PM , Our Family said...

Very beautiful post. You put into words the feelings I had during my pregnancy with my son Joshua. Good luck to you. By the way that is a beautiful nursery. I love it. Kappy

 
On January 5, 2010 at 6:53 PM , Rachel said...

Mmmmmm, neat post. I think I treasure my hole in my heart, and think it is now a beautiful thing that I always feel.

 
On January 8, 2010 at 2:07 PM , Gina said...

You don't know me and I hope you don't mind that I have peeked in on your blog a time or two. I am a friend of Rachel Preslar and I too lost a baby. My Asher was stillborn at 32 1/2 Weeks, that has been over two years ago now. I just had to pipe in and say how, the hindsight thing is so true. A few weeks before we lost our son I remember now getting out of the shower and thinking "I wonder if we could get a plot near my husbands grandparents if we needed to" I never thought about it again. Until "that moment." Well I think there really are moments of preperation even if we didn't realize it. Best of luck to you in your recovery. I can surely promise you life gets easier and beautiful again. And that dosen't mean that you forget, because you never do.

 
On January 8, 2010 at 2:54 PM , Kate said...

Gina, any friend of Rachel Preslar's is a friend of mine! Thanks for your kind comment.

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...