Tillamook Head
1/02/2010 | Author: jefferies
My mom and two sisters piled in our car with us and we drove out to the coast for the day.  The forcast was rain...

...gear is the answer!

We hit the trail from Indian Beach up to Tillamook Head...following the fameous footsteps of Lewis & Clark. 
My mom and two sisters heading up the trail


 
Lighthouse
 
Lewis & Clark pose



We had a funny time.  We had my two sisters at the front of the pack who were going fast to get exercise.  Then we had me at the back trying to drag Joshua (who wanted to be reading instead) up the trail.  And my mom somewhere in between...she didn't want to get her athletic shoes muddy so she wore some leather boots that were not good for hiking in.  The boots had no support and were making it very hard for her to hike.  Thus, my mom in her boots and I dragging Joshua did not make it all the way to the AMAZING lookout point where Lewis and Clark EXCLAIMED with amazement...maybe next time.
Then on the way back down it was getting dark, so my sister that has the closest shoe size to my mom traded her hiking boots for my moms leather boots.  AH...what a difference a good pair of shoes can make...suddenly my mom turned into a super hiker lady!
When we got back it was dark and cold and some little campers were not too happy about that:
 
 
We decided to drive over the Coastal range and make it to my sister's house (which is only an hour from the coast) for dinner instead of eating out.  As we started to climb in altitude in the coastal range, we ran into a blizzard!  FINALLY our white Christmas (a few days late).  Thankfully we did fine driving in that weather since it was just snow and no ice (unlike our slide in the ditch fiasco of last winter).  BUT, we only expected snow in the mountains.  INSTEAD, when we got back to the Portland area, we were VERY surprised to find out that it had snowed 4 inches in the Portland metro area too!  I'm so glad we ended up going to the coast that day instead of staying in Portland.  I'm sad that we missed the storm, but NOT at all sad about missing the crazy Portland snow traffic!



This entry was posted on 1/02/2010 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

On January 2, 2010 at 9:18 PM , Rachel said...

Oh my gosh what great pictures and funny stories. I was hoping that when you titled your blog "Tillamook Head" it was because you had just eaten an insane amount of really delicious cheese and you were now a cheese head. I guess not. :P

 
On January 3, 2010 at 1:22 AM , Unknown said...

great post..you take awesome pics!

 
On January 3, 2010 at 9:30 PM , Natalie said...

KATE
THANK YOU FOR LEAVING A COMMENT ON MY BLOG. I ALWAYS ENJOY MEETING OTHER MOMMIES AND THEIR ANGELS. I CAME TO VISIT YOUR BLOG AND JUST FINISHED READING ELSA'S STORY. I SIT HERE TONIGHT WITH TEARS FALLING DOWN MY FACE AS I REFLECT ON THOSE TENDER MOMENTS SPENT WITH BRANSON. WE TRULY ARE BLESSED TO HAVE SUCH PRECIOUS ANGELS AREN'T WE? ELSA IS PERFECTLY BEAUTIFUL, I'M SURE YOU LONG AS WE DO TO HOLD HER ONCE AGAIN AND LOOK UPON THOSE BEAUTIFUL FEATURES OF HERS. I LOOK FORWARD ANXIOUSLY FOR THE DAY I GET TO EMBRACE BRANSON ONCE AGAIN. THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR STORY WITH ME...I'VE BEEN TOUCHED TONIGHT.
YOU HAVE A BEEAUTIFUL FAMILY.

 
On January 16, 2010 at 12:26 PM , Karen and Kyle said...

I love that first pic. The contrast of the bleak day and the bright fun colors is just amazing!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...