Now don't think for one second that we still don't have Elsa on our minds around here. Because we do. A lot. But we're trying to be happy with that which we are currently blessed, and that is each other and the life that we share. We had such a great time together on Saturday. We played with the earthquake simulators, the water tables, did experiments in the chemistry lab, dabbled in paleontology and earth science, saw the animals, and we spent quite a lot of time in the life science exhibit room...looking at the babies. They have an exhibit of real babies who were lost at various gestational ages...anywhere from 4 weeks to 35 weeks. They have boys and girls...some are still in the uterus and some are not. They are all beautiful and captivating and I am grateful to the parents who donated them so that we can see what these babies look like. My boys were full of wonder; asking lots of questions; imagining Elsa at each of these gestational ages. The babies are all amazing. We have been here a lot in the past since we've had a membership for almost 3 years, but this is the first time we've looked at the babies since Elsa died. And I must admit that I have never really looked at them so closely before. At 10 weeks old for example, a baby (newly graduated from the embryo stage to the fetal stage) is a teeny tiny fully formed little baby, almost one inch long. Amazing.
Anyway...as keeping up with my past tradition, here are some pictures of Toby around the age of 5 months:
At this time in life, we were living in Brent's parent's basement apartment, and it was really nice to have grandparents around a lot while Brent was still in school. (I think Toby still has separation anxiety from moving away). Anyway, Brent's parents have chickens. Lots of them. This particular picture was taken after little 3 year old Joshy caught this black and white chicky, he put her in his Tonka truck, and poured Italian salad dressing on her head. Grandma Jane came to the rescue (I must've been at work...or something, something to have not caught this!). Anyway, as you can see from this picture, Toby was at the potato stage of baby-hood. Both of our boys were very chubby cherubs in their first years. So I can only imagine that our little Elsa would be squishy and well fed also.
This is the dear Aunt Lizzy holding a sweet sleeping 5 month old boy at a family gathering of sorts.
What can I say? After 5 months, my head is intact, my heart is still functioning, I hold my family close, I miss my angel, and I'm excited for what gifts the future will bring us.









4 comments:
I remember that exhibit at OMSI with the babies... I thought it was beautiful and a bit sad at the same time, but fascinating all at once.
That chicken story has me cracking up! At first I thought that was a fake bird! And oh, Toby was so sweet and squeezable. I'm just cherishing every day right now. It goes so fast.
Wow. That baby exhibit sounds intense but really neat. I wonder how I'd do. I passed up an opportunity to see something like this in SLC shortly after Matthew, and I'm still not sure if I'm sorry or relieved I didn't see it. At this point it sounds pretty great.
And I love the chicken story. A lot.
http://www.agoodgrief.com/blog
Have you heard of this blog? It's pretty amazing. Congratulations again on baby #4, hope your feeling great!