Disappointment
5/31/2009 | Author: jefferies
Brent works in a very small rural town about 20 minutes south of where we live. The people are homey. They all have their opinions about the fun things to do around their town. Somehow Brent got this idea from work that it would be really fun to visit this historical mineral spring down there. He really hyped up the idea with the family. He told us of it's history...it was a bustling resort in the 20's! And really all he had to do was tell the boys it was a 'soda spring' and they could not WAIT! They kept asking 'when are we going to go to the 'soda fountain'?!? So we went:

Ladies and Gents: I give you Wilhoit Spring!

The boys look on with anticipation and thirst!

Brent fills the water bottles, while there is some apprehension from the boys looking at the orange stream...we all have a taste...

and the result is:
It was real mineral water...that's for sure. Like Perrier, with a stronger zest. I can only imagine the images of soda that were conjured in the boys heads, and then the disappointment that followed after tasting THIS stuff. Poor Joshua. He even SAVED his drinking all afternoon (unbeknown to us) so that he could fill up on the soda spring. He was so thirsty as we were leaving that we had to go straight home to get him a drink.


A short distance away from the mineral spring was the artisan well known as 'sulfur springs,' which produced a substance Joshua referred to as 'poo juice'. Only Brent was daring enough to sip that foul-smelling grog with extra fizz. His tongue was numb for a few minutes afterward.

After the 'tasting party' we hiked around to try and find the historic remains of the bath house. Once again, we were disappointed.

But we do still have a couple of water bottles of mineral water in our refrigerator...still trying to decide what we are going to make of it.

This entry was posted on 5/31/2009 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

On June 1, 2009 at 5:52 AM , ashley said...

that is hilarious! I'd have a few words to say to that for sure!

 
On June 1, 2009 at 6:14 AM , Windybrook Spinner said...

Kids are the best. So are enthusiastic dads. =)

 
On June 1, 2009 at 7:40 AM , Ariana said...

Maybe it tasted better in the 20s? Or maybe back then they really just thought that the nastier it tasted, the better it was for you. Sorry your trip was a bust!

About seeds and stuff- I bought plants (mostly) rather than seeds. I bought them when they were in small 4-packs, and just didn't look at the bill. Although, I actually spent less than I did last year because this time around I didn't kill a single one and have to replace it. Thanks to the investment of many many Wall-o-Waters...which we will use hopefully for many years. I seem to have bad luck with seeds--they can be so finicky about how deep you plant them, how dense the soil is on top of them, how much water they get, temps, etc etc. The only seeds that really came up well were my corn seeds. Everything else had about a 50% success rate, and of the half that came up, half of that just isn't growing terribly vigorously. I think in Oregon (and here because of the altitude) our growing seasons just aren't long enough to start seeds in the ground. Someday it would be fun to have a big cart with grow lights like Ashley and Wes have. Anyways, I hope your garden has a growth spurt. Nothing like home grown stuff! :)

 
On June 1, 2009 at 10:23 AM , jefferies said...

The trip was definitely worth it...considering the laughs it will bring us through the years, not including the great time we had writing this blog entry.

 
On June 1, 2009 at 3:46 PM , Summers Family said...

You guys crack me up! Yeah for family time nonetheless.

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...