The Front Yard
5/28/2009 | Author: jefferies
Before:

OK-admittedly, our front yard 'meadow' turned into a complete jungle of weeds and various lovely grasses and flowers. That's what a meadow is supposed to look like, right? Well...we were getting the vibe from the neighborhood HOA that this look was not appreciated by the neighborhood. So we ripped out the 'meadow' and laboriously lay out landscape fabric and 7 cubic yards of that good smelling Oregon bark dust (mmm...smell the fresh hemlock).

The labor (of love):
A super huge thanks to my sister Annika who drove down to help out in the spreading of the bark! It was a lot of work and I'm sure it would've done me in without the extra help.

Some of the plants I love:

The planters that I put together for our porch:

After:

I'll admit that I don't like it as much, although it will be much easier to control the weeds. We still need to add a row of shrubs and possibly a tree along that white vinyl fence on the left. We are also going to build a nice flower box to fill with dahlias and vining vegetables. That will fill the huge random (and now very brown) space on the left of the porch. The final touch will be a fence to separate our front yard from our neighbor's (weedy) backyard. Then the front yard will be finished! I am so glad we did this before summer's arrival. And now onto the weed problem in the backyard....
|
This entry was posted on 5/28/2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

On May 28, 2009 at 3:23 PM , Ariana said...

I really dislike HOA's and how people get in your business. Whatever happened to buying a house and getting to do (basically) what you want with it. Grr. I agree though, best to do it now rather than later in the summer when it's hot and you reeeeally don't feel like doing anything. :) I like the smell of fresh barkdust too...reminds me of landscaping. The bark we got was from Oregon and it is lovely! :) Good job on your yard! I hope you've scared the weeds away for a good long time. :)

 
On May 28, 2009 at 8:09 PM , Rachel said...

I think you'll like it a lot better once the things you planted take root and spread out a little bit. It does look nice to play in the dirt, especially this time of year!

 
On May 28, 2009 at 10:08 PM , Rebecca and Nick said...

Our HOA made us pull our weeds, too! The difference is , we have like five square feet of rock for a front yard!! hahaha!!! I know, it's sad. Your place looks great!

 
On May 29, 2009 at 4:10 PM , Windybrook Spinner said...

Landscaping is so much work! Looks great, but I'm sorry you had to get rid of your meadow.

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...