*I started this blog post weeks ago, but never had time to finish it...and wasn't really sure I was going to until today. I had been having the desire to lighten up the blog a little, as it's been heavy with my thoughts lately, and I was worried that my friends and family have not been enjoying that. But today as I was trying so hard to get the computer to upload my pictures from day 2 of our New York trip...they just wouldn't upload...they still have not (something is seriously wrong with our internet). So I took that as my nudge to finish this post instead. I know it is what I needed to write today.
NEWSFLASH: I have changed positions since I wrote this blog entry, two years ago: {i need a girl}.
Immediately after we lost Elsa, I knew we were going to have another girl. I pictured in my mind exactly how beautiful our story would be in the end...mother looses daughter, mother grieves honorably, mother puts all her trust in God, and finally mother gives birth to another healthy, living daughter. Perfect. Everyone in the land rejoices. And they live happily ever after.
Perfect, in my eyes...but as we soon come to learn, that is NOT how the Lord's timetable for our lives will proceed. And I knew it even before Elsa was gone, that we were having another boy. I prayed, I pleaded, and I bargained for another girl first. I promised we WOULD have another baby boy if He wanted us to, if He would send another girl first. I THOUGHT it was what I NEEDED to help me heal.
Before we were pregnant with Oliver, I had this perfect, peaceful feeling that God was sending us a boy and that he was going to be wonderful. We were going to love him so much, and he would be everything that we needed. As the pregnancy commenced and proceeded, I pushed away those feelings and convince myself that of course God would send us another girl.
It took a while after we had Oliver to be happy with him. I'll be honest there, but once I did wonderful love entered into my life. And then I thought "if I start praying now, surely my next baby will be a girl." So I would pray and ask for a girl every morning and every night. And then I would ask if He was going to send me a girl. I always get the answer "yes". But then I would ask if my next baby would be a girl {because heavens knows I am impatient and have already waited through two pregnancies for a girl when I thought I was already getting one...I can't wait anymore!}. But my answer always felt like boy next, boy next. I had a hard time accepting that and would push that feeling away and only dwell on the good feeling I got when I prayed about a girl. {Enter Milo, whom we adore. It only took one instant for me to be happy with him-it was the instant I caught him in the birth tub.}
Truly I have wearied the Lord with all of my prayers on this subject. I had heard of other women praying for the gender they wanted, and then getting it...and I thought if it worked for them, it should work for me. But the thing I didn't get was that the Lord knows each of us, sees the big picture and knows exactly what we need. But everywhere I look, the spirit is teaching me to "ask, and ye shall receive." And I believe that with all of my heart. So I continue to pray. I had this experience a couple of months ago where I was asking the Lord if I was going to have a girl, or if we could expect to have all boys...when suddenly I received a different answer than before. The spirit told me that we would have all boys until we get Elsa back. I fought that answer in my heart. NO! How could that be! But then something changed within me: after only a few moments, I accepted that answer. Ok. We will have another baby and it will be another boy...if that's what we need to do, that's what we'll do. And we will be happy. For quite a few years I have felt a fraction of what Mary, the mother of Jesus must have felt: I have willingly become a vessel for the children God wants me to have, no matter the cost to my heart. "Be it unto me, according to thy will."
As soon as I accepted that answer, almost immediately I felt a burning in my chest that we would have another girl, and that previous answer was just a test to see if I could let go of my will and trust the Lord. Wow! So now I feel like I'm setting myself up for a win-win situation on my next baby because if I get a girl, great! But if I get another boy, I know with all of my being that it will be the Lord's will and we WILL love it. Before I went to Oliver's ultrasound, I remember telling someone the line from Elder Wirthin's talk a few years back "come what may, and love it." I said it, but I had no idea that I didn't really mean it. But now I mean it. I really do.
Just about a few weeks after this experience we watched general conference. There were several amazing talks that caught my attention, which I already wrote about...but one talk I didn't write about was President Henry B. Eyring's "Where is the Pavilion". This talk was like a follow up message from the Lord to me, about the above experience...reinforcing that yes, I had created a pavilion between the Lord and I by fighting His answers previously. But by accepting them, I was removing the pavilion giving me direct access to God. President Eyring's daughter in law removed the pavilion by finally giving up her desire to have another baby, and leaving it in the Lord's hands. I removed the pavilion by accepting, truly accepting the baby that God needs us to have.
Then, if that weren't enough, last Sunday a friend on Facebook posted a link to a blog by CJane (which I have never read before) about her experience with infertility. It was amazing how it corresponded with the experience that I have had. Even though I have never had fertility issues, I could relate to exactly what she was saying. It's like I've had girl fertility and girl loss problems. I don't mean to mock anyone who has gone through fertility problems, because I only gained a glimpse of what that must be like when Elsa died and I had to wait another frustrating year without a baby. But when CJane shared that although she experienced 5 years of infertility, she always knew she would conceive a baby, AND before she conceived she was finally able to be happy and to accept her life. Wow. I GET that.
Ok, one more thought...I'm sorry if this post is perfectly boring. It is helping me so much to get all my thoughts out. Today I stayed home from church with two sick babies. I wanted to review last month's conference talks during church time, but my toddler just wouldn't have that! He was grouching at me for doing anything that didn't include paying attention to him. So we decided to pick out a living scriptures dvd to watch together instead...cuddled on the couch. That was acceptable to him. First we watched The Lord's Prayer, and the spirit cemented my earlier thought in this post about prayer...that you can never pray too much for something you are asking the Lord for. I won't give up until I die. But the second movie we watched was I think The Signs of the Times, and it was about the last days of the Savior before His sacrifice.
I saw that story in a new way today:
The Jewish people were in bondage to the overbearing Roman Empire. They were hoping for a miracle, a Messiah to deliver them. Even the apostles just a few days before the crucifixion were wondering when He was going to pronounce himself King, and deliver them from the Romans. And truly that was what they needed! Truly that was not a wrong thing for them to desire. They believed that He was the Son of God, and the Messiah, and that He could perform miracles. Then the next thing they knew, He allowed Himself to be taken and crucified. It must have felt like a punch in the gut to them. But they could not see the whole picture. They could not see that IF He threw down the Romans and was not crucified, all mankind would be lost forever. They could not see what a HUGE frustration to the plan of salvation it would have been, if He had given them the temporal deliverance from their earthly bondage.
Likewise, I know that when my prayers were not answered like I thought they were going to be, and when I did not receive the good things that I so greatly desired and prayed so hard for...I know there is a bigger picture. I MUCH bigger picture, that I cannot fully see. I know that God has a great purpose for me, that I cannot always see. But like the original Apostles, I still believe in Him. I still know He loves me. And little by little that bigger picture is being revealed. But it probably will remain somewhat of a mystery to me until after I die. And that's ok.
The question may come to anyone who reads this (as it has come to my mind, and also to my husband's) of why I want a daughter so badly. Why do I put myself through this? Why do I go to all the trouble to pray and think all of this through? Why go to all of the trouble to write this all out? And the answer is simple: I have ALWAYS felt I was going to have a daughter. Always. Sometimes I ask myself the question: was Elsa that daughter I always felt? But the spirit tells me, there is another. "Faith in the Lord includes faith in His timing." -Elder Neil A. Maxwell
Yet, I know we will have one AMAZING life if we have all boys. Because if we do, I know the Lord's plan is SO MUCH bigger than mine. So although I would greatly like another girl, I do NOT need another girl.
Our Dancing Queen
2 weeks ago









0 comments: