The night's sleep was...not so well. Our air mattress had a hole, so Brent and I slept on the boy's thin foam pad. I thought that I would be okay with all my extra pillows...but let's just say that by morning my hips felt like they were crushed. I felt so fragile. It was kind of a test run for Girls Camp, which I will be going to in a few weeks as a Unit leader for second year campers (13 year old girls). Let's just say that I am seriously taking a second look at my sleeping arrangements for camp. I guess it's better now than in a few weeks, huh?
But after a shifty night's sleep (for Brent too) we ended up having a fabulous day exploring the park.
#1 Shipwreck Matey!
Shipwreck on the beach at Ft. Stevens!! This is the grand Peter Iredale shipwrek, which ran ashore on October 25, 1906 en route to the Columbia River. It is one of the most accessible shipwrecks of the Graveyard of the Pacific.
#2
Some pictures from the lower ammunition bunker and quartersBrent says this ring chained the gigantic guns in place...
The gigantic guns were situated in these pits. I'm not much of a military person, but Brent had a couple of brothers into (and in) the military. So he knew enough about what they did here. It was a place set up in 1904-1905 to defend the entrance of the Colombia River. You cannot see the River or the Ocean from this place, but Brent said that with proper coordinates of where the invading ships were, these big guns could be aimed just right... Battery Russell was attacked by a Japanese submarine during WWII, which was subsequently out of range of the gigantic guns.
exploring the outside was an adventure...exploring the nooks and crannies of the inside (with a flashlight) was fascinating
Some pictures that made me feel like we were in a ruin
Some wild roses right behind the structure
honey bee
#3 (as if this wasn't already long enough!)
more beach time! this time on the Colombia river side of the peninsula
They boys made a giant sundial on in the sand
And everyone participated in sand angels because the sand was soft and silty and warm...


...except me. I got down on the sand and it was so comfortable that I couldn't get up. It was totally peaceful and serene (in the middle of a bird refuge with no signs of humanity). I was finally comfortable, so I fell down for a little nap.
My nice, nice husband took the boys for a hike around the peninsula to give me some peace. When I woke up, flies were biting my legs and I was really stuck in the sand. I waited for Brent to come back and he was talking and walking with some elderly folks (he makes friends with everybody!). The boys were soaked...of course they could not keep out of the water. Toby had collected a fist full of eagle feathers. We met a doctor visiting from Pennsylvania and the boys had a ball with his very cool dog 'Buddy'.
Inside
Our one token picture with a gun (the ones at Battery Russell were larger than this)
more beach time! this time on the Colombia river side of the peninsula
...except me. I got down on the sand and it was so comfortable that I couldn't get up. It was totally peaceful and serene (in the middle of a bird refuge with no signs of humanity). I was finally comfortable, so I fell down for a little nap.
My nice, nice husband took the boys for a hike around the peninsula to give me some peace. When I woke up, flies were biting my legs and I was really stuck in the sand. I waited for Brent to come back and he was talking and walking with some elderly folks (he makes friends with everybody!). The boys were soaked...of course they could not keep out of the water. Toby had collected a fist full of eagle feathers. We met a doctor visiting from Pennsylvania and the boys had a ball with his very cool dog 'Buddy'.
#4
Clatsop Indian Long house and some of the big guns
Clatsop Indian Long house and some of the big guns
#5
Astoria
What a charming little town on a hill overlooking the vast expanse of ocean and river on 3 sides. We've been here before, but this time we really NOTICED how nice they are fixing up this town (where 'Goonies' was filmed 20 years ago). We had some yummy treats from a Scandinavian bakery and took the shoreline trolley through town. The trolley is a great recommendation if you are ever up there...the tour guide had all kinds of great information about the town.



Some of the views from the trolley...the very large Astoria Bridge...an ocean faring vessel...the boys (Toby really was having a good time regardless of what it looks like in this picture of him)
Good times! We'll surely not forget anytime soon.
Astoria
What a charming little town on a hill overlooking the vast expanse of ocean and river on 3 sides. We've been here before, but this time we really NOTICED how nice they are fixing up this town (where 'Goonies' was filmed 20 years ago). We had some yummy treats from a Scandinavian bakery and took the shoreline trolley through town. The trolley is a great recommendation if you are ever up there...the tour guide had all kinds of great information about the town.
Some of the views from the trolley...the very large Astoria Bridge...an ocean faring vessel...the boys (Toby really was having a good time regardless of what it looks like in this picture of him)Good times! We'll surely not forget anytime soon.










5 comments:
wow. you guys are ambitious. i don't even like sleeping on the ground when i'm NOT pregnant. your boys are lucky to have such fun parents who take them on all of these adventures.
I think I've been to all those places! I totally remember the shipwreak, but we didn't know what it was, and that really cool old fort. How fun to see your visit of them. I miss Oregon.
You guys are really good at finding neat places to explore! And I love the way you blog about them. You could write tour books. Can't wait to see your blog after you visit Alaska!
Wow! What a whole lot of neat stuff you're doing - that is so cool! I have to tell you how much I have fallen in love with "Harbor" by Vienna Teng on your playlist - I can't get enough of it. Love your playlist!
So fun And you aren't that big, all I know is if we ever visit WA I am going to your blog for all the fun ideas! Good luck at girls camp!