ALASKA Day 5
7/25/2009 | Author: jefferies
Alaska Day 5: Adventure Miscellany

We started out the day exploring Skagway a little more. We saw the train exhibits at the White Pass & Yukon Route station. The big engine on the bottom left is a snowplow engine.



We got some yummy treats at the Kone Kompany:


We saw this really great little green house at the trailer park:
We love this idea for a greenhouse because we've been wanting to put one in our yard, but can't quite come up with the perfect spot for a big regular sized and expensive one. But this little greenhouse is built over a garden box with scrap wood and plexiglass. We could totally build one over one of our garden boxes. HOW EXCITING!


Liz got us the hook up with a gold panning tour at the gold dredge:
I cannot understand why blogger is turning this picture sideways! Arg!

This is probably the activity that Joshua was looking forward to and he enjoyed the most. How funny! He just wanted to get some gold and get rich.

It was lots of fun...too bad for Joshua that our gold findings were about $10. Well, I guess that's a lot for him...but not enough to buy the Nintendo WII he's trying to save up for.


After gold panning, we had to try the homemade gold dredge root beer:
It was fantastic!
We also had to sign our names on the wall of their new restaurant.
Brent and Liz created a Jefferies Family legacy wall...and signed everyone's name in the family who has been to Skagway. I hope we didn't forget anyone!

Joshua and Toby got to touch/hold live crabs outside of the restaurant! That was fun.

Oh yeah...one more thing: I got my bum kicked on a 4 mile hike straight up to and around Lower Dewey Lake. Liz said it was only 2 miles, but our GPS said 4. That just goes to show what an awesome hiker woman Liz is (she runs up there on her breaks to go swimming!).
going up!



At the top!
Liz and her crazy friends jump/dive off that cliff in the background behind Toby (!)


Taking breaks...I'm sure our pregnant/kid pace was much too slow for Liz (and Brent)! But they didn't let on.

I just love these warning signs...
...and how our kids are always playing nearby. (don't worry it wasn't really swift and dangerous...at least not when we were there).

OH...and this is the HAUNTED BOAT! (In fact, I think the whole lake is haunted).
But the story of the boat is that once Liz and her friend took it out for a row, and they completely sank it. Liz said it was SO deep down that they couldn't even dive down to touch it. Then the next time they were hiking up there, it was back in its usual spot on the shore of the lake!

It was a very beautiful hike...thanks Liz!
And by the next day I was completely recovered...as in, I was not going to puke my guts up anymore (don't worry folks...I made sure to keep my heart rate in the correct pregnancy range).
This entry was posted on 7/25/2009 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On July 26, 2009 at 4:41 PM , Rachel said...

Neat neat trip. That picture of Joshy and the apple is AWESOME!!!!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...