I hope you don't think badly of me for writing about things that are hard. I know that probably most of you know me and some of you do not. I think of myself as a strong person. And I used to be more confident. I hope you aren't disappointed in me that I don't seem to be getting stronger from my experience of loosing Elsa. Sure at first it was pretty easy. I had such assurances that all was well. I had so many friends and family surrounding me with love. I felt my Savior as my constant companion. But lately, well...lately it's been hard. Again. And again.
Every time someone is going to have a baby {but especially a girl} I get so nervous. Especially if their situation is like mine was, as in they have two boys and are very exciting to finally be adding a girl to the mix. I worry and hope that everything will turn out the way they had planned. But then when they have that baby safe and sound and they are in baby bliss, I start to slip. This internal struggle begins. The struggle of being SO happy for that family, while at the same time being SO sad that our situation turned out differently. The worst is when I read stories about babies that *almost* didn't make it, but then they miraculously pulled through. Don't get me wrong...I am OVER the MOON elated that others aren't having to experience the ache and the pain that I have. But I wish that things had happened differently for us. Could I have been given any kind of sign that she was going to die so that I could rush into the hospital to have her delivered immediately? No. Is was not meant to be that way. She was not meant to be here.
I used to be so ok with that. I thought for sure that I would be blessed with another little daughter that I got to keep...right away. And that I would then be this noble, selfless mother who would carry on after giving Elsa a gift. I was sure that God would not put me though loosing my daughter if he wasn't going to make it a lot better right away? {I'm not going to write another paragraph about how much that feeling does not effect my love and joy for my baby boy Oliver, even though I could. Hopefully my adoration for him is shining through in other posts}.
But here is my question for you all...this is what I seem to be struggling with the VERY most:
How can I be happy for others without feeling so sad for myself
{or angry, or jealous, or...insert related synonym here}? My dear husband thinks that this just might be my big challenge from this experience.
I know that many of you have also lost a baby. The rest of you have gone through other struggles, whether seen or unseen. Have you ever lost something that you WANTED so VERY MUCH? Something that you had prepared for and planned for, for months or years? Something that can't or won't be replaced for a VERY long time? How do you deal? Am I just being a baby?
Here are a coupla things that I do know:
1) I have it good. I know other people have it worse than me. I am regularly humbled by the amount of good I have in my life, and the lack of others in the world. I'm not comparing with them though and I can't dismiss my pain even though others may have more pain.
2) God is good. And I know he has a plan for me and for my family and for my Elsa. And it will make us all the MOST happy in the end. I just don't always know what it is and it is hard to trust. I once thought I knew what a great deal of faith felt like...but now I'm just quivering and shivering like a little child.
So other than those two things, what do YOU do to deal?
...and for Elsa...
For Mary Lydia: From a Parent Left Behind
By Susan Chock Hartman
Child,
you were not born for sorrow.
I cannot even mourn for you: a few hours
beneath the stars, a name, a covenant,
a safe and shining flight across the sky.
I mourn, instead, for myself,
for my mortal fears, my pain,
for my world-weariness,
for my dark nights. But you, my child,
did not come for such grief.
Someday I shall teach you of this green earth:
of small warm animals,
of cornfields and clay,
of birds that can’t fly,
and of the fear of falling.
And though your new home is
grander, your new life
more splendid, your new world
much lighter, much warmer
than this,
I believe all will be
more beautiful
when I hold you again.
Our Dancing Queen
2 months ago









3 comments:
while our situations are different, I think I truly understand how you feel about planning for something and getting something different because it is the Lord's plan. it is still too fresh for me to feel like I have any helpful advice. whenever I see someone pregnant I think, "what if their experience is like mine," and I worry for them; but I also think, "what if their experience is normal and they take it for granted" and I am envious.
I am so grateful for my wonderful happy baby, but my heart aches at what and who I thought he would be and that is so much more unknown to me now. i love you though, and and ebb and flow of feelings helps me enjoy the happy times that much more.
I also o don't have a lot of helpful advice, but I understand where you are coming from. I actually posted that exact same poem on my blog a few months ago. I don't wish this pain on anyone else, I understand that I am blessed, but it still is just rotten and hurts. This is your blog. You get to post whatever the heck you want. If it helps you process, or document so you can later see how far you've come, do it. I know your honesty helped me not feel so alone when this first happened to me. So, if anything, I hope that knowing you have helped me helps you to deal at least a little.
Lots of love,
Kris
Some things are just hard in life. And what you've been given in this situation is hard, but I am becoming more and more sure that our trials really are for our benefit. And I think that many things take time to work through. I had an amazing experience late last night with finally finding peace in the life that I've been given. I'm feeling after almost 10 years of being a mom to boys, that I am so grateful for that, and it's as it should be. You know how hard a place that has been for me to get to, as you've had to listen to my whining about it for quite some time. You should check out the song Blessings by Laura Story http://www.klove.com/music/artists/laura-story/songs/blessings-lyrics.aspx It's been speaking to me lately. I know you will get through this. Just keep trying and you'll get there. You are stronger than you think.