Over and over I have tried to imagine HOW I could make a difference by taking something hard that happened to me and use it to help make life better for someone else. Because if I could possibly help another mother from going through loosing a baby, then I would in a heartbeat. Well, lots of my friends up here in Portland are participating in the Portland Triathlon as a fund raiser for Mama baby Haiti, and I thought that sounded perfect! I would love to do another triathlon. However, when I discovered the date I realized that I would not be able to participate. So (and I know this is late notice) I decided that I am going to try to raise funds in conjunction with the half marathon that I am running tomorrow instead. I don't need all the money tomorrow...I'll keep it open a few weeks.
But my goal is to raise $500 for Mama Baby Haiti.
Can you help me with that?
If 100 of you can donate $5 via paypal, we can reach that goal!! $5!!! That's an easy way to help some of our fellow humankind. (You may donate as much as you want though!)
And to sweeten the deal a little bit, I'm doing a drawing in conjunction with this fund-raiser!
I'm going to offer up a few awesome prizes:
1 ~ A mini session with TM Custom Portraits. I think that is at least a $100 value! TM is my best buddy and she takes STUNNING photos. If you don't live in Portland, now is a good time for a road trip! Or, you could make other arrangements...TM does occasionally travel to Utah to visit family and would probably be happy to arrange a time (although I can't exactly speak for her, haha!).
This is our family picture she took in 2008.
We have it printed on a gallery wrapped canvas in our living room and people always ask who took it.
We're about to get new family pictures done! I'm very excited.
Those prizes TOTALLY rock...and all you need to do is donate $5. Come ON!! ;-) We all are blessed with so much more than people in other lands. I PROMISE this is a GREAT charity, which can REALLY use the money. And all of the money will go straight to helping the people of Haiti, as I personally know the founders and know they are paying for a lot of stuff (rent, supplies, food, water, medicine) out of their pockets. They are mostly there to help mamas and babies, but they have also given food to starving children and medical care to anyone who needs it. It is staffed completely by volunteers.
So if you think you can help me out with raising some goodness for the Haitian people AND you want in on a fun prize you may enter the giveaway by doing the following:
1)Required to enter the giveaway, you must donate $5 or more and make a comment on this post. You do not need to tell me how much you donate, but I would appreciate it if you could either make a comment on your online donation form Mama Baby Haiti that it is in memory of ELSA MEADOWLARK, or send me a private email letting me know the amount (so I can track my goal) to katespidey@gmail.com.
2)You may receive addition optional entries by a) publicly following my blog {I want to make more new friends}, b) blogging about this fundraiser/giveaway, and/or c) facebooking/tweeting (whatever you do) about this fundraiser/giveaway.
Please show Mama Baby Haiti some love in honor of Elsa Meadowlark!
xxoo!
Drawing will close on Elsa's birthday. August 16.










15 comments:
Great idea Kate! Hope your marathon went well. Our family just donated $25 ($5 for each person in our fam) to MamaBaby. Now you're on your way to meeting your goal. I was checking out their website. What a wonderful organization. It makes me want to become a midwife :) or at least a nurse to go down and volunteer....when my kids are older that is. Thanks for doing this!`
hi Kate, just donated. good luck!! kali
I love this and I hope you reach your goal. I did donate as well. Lots of love!
Rachel
I think this is a fabulous way to celebrate Elsa's birthday. I donated! But I also don't need anymore baby blankets, so don't worry about entering me into that drawing--even though I just had a baby and I'm sure they're beautiful, people have been very generous for me and Thomas in the blanket department. However, the portrait session sounds awesome! But it's just nice to donate to a good cause. love you!
Kate,
You and Elsa have touched my life in a way words can never express. I will forever be thankful for that. Elsa will always hold a special place in my heart. I am constantly imagining her and Donavin playing together in heaven. Thank you for being an inspiration to me. I have donated $50. Happy birthday Elsa, you have one amazing Mama. :)
Kate, I hope you meet your goal. We need more people in this world like you... Good luck! debbiek
Kate, I hope you reach your goal. I love your idea. We need more people in this world like you...
This is an amazing cause, so I have happily donated $5 today. I love Tara's work, so that is an excellent prize, and whoever wins it will be very lucky to work with her.
Hey Katie,
Thanks for introducing me to such a great cause. We donated $25 in honor of sweet Elsa :)
I've been waiting to have some money - so when I made a couple etsy sales, I thought of you and sweet Elsa. I hope my little contribution can help.
Happy Birthday, Elsa!!
xoxo.
I am a public follower of your blog :)
i facebooked about this great cause:)
Just donated! Happy Birthday Elsa. We miss you and wish you were here playing with us.
made a small donation on Monday. And sent you an email, ;-).
We donated $15 for lovely Elsa! Love you guys! :)