Updates
3/14/2009 | Author: jefferies
Before I start, I am desperate to ask you in bloggerdom if anyone knows how to fix the screen that you write and edit your blog on? Mine is so tiny that I can hardly read what I am writing! The rest of my computer screens are normal, but this screen and also the screen that appears when I comment on other blogs is SO tiny!

-Joshua brought home his report card yesterday and I am happy to say that in reading he received all excellent, above grade level marks and was graded as an Exemplary Reader! I am so proud of him! He is lucky to be so good at reading. The rest of his report card was good too. At grade level and doing great in all academic subjects. As expected the behavior portion of his report card is about 50% "still developing". But he does seem to be making progress behavior-wise. The school staff has told me that he has gone from following directions about 40% of the time to now following directions about 81% of the time! They told me that is about as good as an average student, so that is great news! I still have to keep in mind that he is following directions with the help of a personal assistant during the big transitions of the day...so he's still not independent as an average student is, but we are getting there!
(Just to jog your memory if you don't recall, Joshua has sensory integration dysfunction...when there is too much background noise/activity he can't "hear" the things that he is supposed to be hearing. He has a hard time filtering out the background noises and that makes it difficult for him to follow directions.)

-Toby has lately become rather independent. He is getting himself dressed in the morning and at bedtime without my asking (including brushing his teeth). That has been so nice! He also has been doing laundry by himself. When he gets something dirty, he puts it in the washer, jumps up and puts in detergent and starts it by himself. He has learned this and other things (cooking and dishes just to name a few) by following me around and observing. What a guy!

-Toby is also very stubborn. It has taken me quite some work to convince him that smoking is bad for your body (and folks, I watched two of my grandparents die slowly and painfully from emphysema). Toby though, was convinced (who knows why?) that smoking was cool. I kept catching him pretending to smoke with small cylindrical household objects. I even found him picking up a cigarette butt in the parking lot and trying to put it in his mouth!! Toby is a very oral 3 year old, but EW, ICK!! With Joshua, all I had to do was tell him smoking is bad for your body and he committed himself to never smoke. Now with Toby it has taken me months and months of persuasion, but finally, finally he got the message. The first indication of this was when we were talking about HIS grandparents (of which none have smoked...it was my grandparents who smoked). When we got to his maternal grandfather (my father) we were talking about how he was already dead, but that we believe that we will see him again someday, etc...well Toby suddenly said
"yeah. He smoked, he died".
I had to laugh...
"yeah well Toby...smoking does kill you, but Grandpa Frank did not smoke".
Now when he sees a cigarette in the parking lot, he stops and stars at it for a moment and says, shaking his head
"I don't want to die".
Ah the sweet success of being a parent/health educator.

-Joshua cleaned the boys' bathroom as his Saturday chore both last week and this week. He stated last week that it was about as much fun as playing his video game! This week he told me that it was his new hobby. Well great!

-Joshua also told me that his new favorite hobby is bike riding. We often go on one of the regional trails as a family, and it turns out that he loves it! He just wishes that there were more kids his age in our neighborhood to go bike riding with. There is a ten year old kid two houses down that will do bike races with Joshua, but he often ditches out for his older friends. Poor Joshua.

-For those of you who have been waiting for a Brent job update, here comes:
Well, Brent was lured into trying a couple jobs outside of retail pharmacy this past year (they contact him, offering a job...I know, how lucky is that?), and for one reason or another they didn't work out. But now Brent is back at retail, working in a small country town a few miles south of where we live...and he is really loving it! He still would eventually like to venture out of retail and put some permanent roots down in research and perhaps professorship, but we've realized that we will have to wait until the housing market improves so that we can sell our house to go where that kind of a job would take us.

-And now for a pregnancy update! As of this week, I am 16 weeks pregnant, and my belly has finally started becoming round. Yay! Now I don't have to feel like I just have a fat stomach. I have been having LOTS of crazy dreams with this pregnancy, but up until last night I have not had any dreams about this baby or the labor/delivery. Well folks, last night I had a really crazy pregnancy dream! I feel like I should document it for future reference. In the dream, someone took me to the hospital where the nurses and doctors forced me to be strapped to a table and they put me under general anesthesia. They next thing I knew was I woke up about 3 days later and at home. I had had the baby and people around me were telling me how great it was that I could fit into my non-maternity clothes now. I was upset and angry about not being able to experience the birth and I was wondering where my baby was. These people were avoiding the subject of the baby until finally I pushed it and they agreed to take me to the hospital to try and see my baby. When I got to the hospital I waited a long time and the hospital staff would not let me see my baby. I got really angry until finally they brought out the baby. It was a girl and she was quite a bit older than a newborn (indicating that more time had passed than I thought). She had a big scar across her face from the c-section that the hospital staff imposed on me (which I think is why they did not want me to see her). And they had named her Katherine. I was threatening litigation! But just then when the dream was at it's very worst, I held my baby and told her how happy I was to finally see her and that I knew she was going to be a girl. Suddenly she was such a happy baby, to finally hear my voice and realize that she was back with me. It was such a sweet bonding moment, that even though the rest of the dream was a crazy nightmare...I am now really excited to meet this baby. In a way, that joy overshadows the gloom of the rest of the dream. I'm not sure why I had this dream. I am planning a home birth with this baby, and I am not at all nervous about it or about the birth. In fact I am very excited for this experience! I am not worried about anyone forcing me out of this choice. The only logical explanation that I can have for this dream is that maybe I had Bella and Breaking Dawn on the subconscious. I haven't read it for months...but that story comes the closest to this dream.
Any thoughts on crazy pregnancy dreams?
This entry was posted on 3/14/2009 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On March 14, 2009 at 10:12 PM , Katie Fox said...

your comment about Bella and breaking dawn made me laugh, I hope you get your girl. I am also jealous that you are that much further along than I am, oh well my time will come:)

 
On March 17, 2009 at 6:46 PM , Anonymous said...

that is the most horrible dream ever!!! HOW SAD!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...