Chanticleer
2/28/2009 | Author: jefferies
Chanticleer is the "clear-singing" rooster in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. Well, for my birthday Brent gave me tickets for us to go see the musical ensemble "Chanticleer," and we went to see them last Saturday at the St. Philip de Neri Church in Portland. From chanticleer.org:

"Chanticleer - based in San Francisco - has developed a remarkable reputation for its vivid interpretations of vocal literature, from Renaissance to jazz, and from gospel to venturesome new music. With its seamless blend of twelve male voices, ranging from countertenor to bass, the ensemble has earned international renown as “an orchestra of voices.”

My favorite music of the night was the Renaissance music. To give you an idea of how beautiful and ethereal this type of music is (especially in a Catholic church with a very high ceiling), I uploaded Franz Biebl's version of "Ave Maria" (that's my favorite version) to my music list on the side of the blog. It is the last song and they are on random, so you will have to search for it (if you would like to be uplifted by very beautiful music).

Thanks Annie and Nate for babysitting. We can't wait for our next concert: Vienna Teng in April! (She's on the sidebar too).
|
This entry was posted on 2/28/2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On March 1, 2009 at 8:42 PM , Virginia said...

Hi Kate! You are so fun. I tried to check out Ave Maria but it was a woman's voice, I thought it would be the men's chorus -- anyway, it was still pretty, it soothed Thomas. He just laid on my lap and smiled!! I hope you and your new baby are doing well!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
On March 2, 2009 at 6:10 AM , Unknown said...

How fabulous! There's just something so wonderful about a group of male singers - I get the shivers like crazy when they sing. I got to see the King's Singers a couple of years ago and had huge goosebumps the whole time. What a neat show! And happy birthday, by the way!

 
On March 2, 2009 at 9:28 AM , jefferies said...

Va- I can't hear any singers in this version of Ave Maria that sound even remotely female. I wonder if you had the wrong song?

Rach-I would LOVE to see the king singers! What a treat!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...