We went swimming, and beach combing, jogging, hiking, exploring, cooked together and watched movies. It was a great time! The boys especially had an awesome time with out of town family.
We had some really spectacular weather for April at the Oregon coast. The past two years we've gone to the coast with Brent's parents in April and it has only been rain, rain, wind, cold and rain.
So while my mom and Marv went to Tillamook to see some museums, my sisters, Brent, the boys and I were going to go hike around Hug Point.
Unfortunately, when we got down to the point the tide was TOO HIGH! It was covering the trail.
Everyone was quite disappointed...we were all looking forward to a great hike.
So after standing around the beach for a few minutes...the boys climbed the cliffs...I tried to fly a kite with no wind...Brent tried hiking over the headland to see if we could get to the trail another way...I was seeing desperation in my sister who flew in from New York City and was really wanting to see some coastal forest...
SO...I told the other adults "You guys go and hike Tillamook Head without me and I'll take the little boys to do something else."
You see, hiking Tillamook Head was what they ALL really wanted to do. But it is a 7 mile hike each way...unless you have someone drop you off in Cannon Beach and pick you up at Seaside. And the longest our boys have ever hiked was about 4-5 miles...and that was HARD for them. And I was really tired from jogging on the beach that morning with my sister. So the others had agreed to hike Hug Point instead...a 2 mile hike to a waterfall. But when that wasn't working out...
I know, I know...I am the BEST sister and wife.
I dropped Brent, Heather and Annika off at the trail head in Cannon Beach. Then I took a 1-2 mile hike with the boys in Ecola State Park...in a location where part of 'The Goonies' was filmed, took the boys out to ice cream, and later picked up the others in Seaside. And Brent took the camera, so here are some of his shots:
Storm Clouds and Terrible Tilly (the lighthouse)
Brent was really impressed with the amount our new camera can zoom!
Terrible Tilly
Heather
I found these shots to be enchanting.
The next day we took everyone to Fort Stevens and Astoria:
At shipwreck beach...
There was plenty of wind to fly a kite!
interpretive kite flying (the next big Olympic event)
All the better when you're 22 weeks pregnant (I know...I'm very large and in charge!)
cute sisters and mom
Joshua had fun running in the waves...and as usual, got soaked.
Toby stayed quite away from the waves and played on the sand dunes instead.
And found a small hut to explore (ate some sand)
Climbed on an old stump and said 'take my picture' with enthusiasm!
played in the sand and found a stick...
By the request of Heather, and amidst the protests of playing boys...
We had a noble attempt...
And I must say a VERY noble attempt to take a picture...
And as you can see, by the time Heather got in the shot...the boys were quite done.
whatevea!...
Then we went to see this:
(The Astoria Column)
And to get to the top, you have to climb these:
(Brent did it in just under a minute)
And two boys who are very excited look like this:
(they did a very good job...better than I)
And the view from the top looks like this:
and this:
(!)
And boy(s) who discover they are AFRAID of heights look like this:
(won't you please smile for a picture? No? Ok.)
Boys who are [very] happy to be going back down look like this:
Grandma, Grandpa and Auntie standing at the top look like this:
A zoomed-in view of Saddle Mountain looks like this:
And finally a bald eagle in a tree looks like this:
(right by the parking lot!)
OH...one more thing!
VERY thirsty boys who take a stop at the artesian spring on the way back to Portland look like this:
yum, yum!!









1 comments:
You are darling. What a cute post!