There are two parts to this. 1) I realize that how I decide to birth any of my babies isn't anyone else's business, and 2) birth is one of my very favorite and passionate topics. So being therefore forewarned, feel free to either skip this post or read on.
The reason why I choose to write this post despite part 1 (above) is because of all the very well meaning and kind comments and questions I have received and/or heard through the grapevine. Because we all have good intentions, I just want to make sure that everyone has the story straight...because I realize that misconceptions happen and things are misunderstood when things are not completely clear.
So these are pretty much the types of questions that I've been hearing:
Have you decided how you're going to birth this next baby?
Are you going to do anything different?
Have you considered being induced early?
Have you ever thought about what would've happened if you had been induced early with Elsa?
I'm going to start out by saying that I am planning on giving birth to this baby pretty much the same way that I gave birth to all my other babies. My two oldest were pretty much 'hospital home births'...in that I was at the hospital and had no interventions. But because of the few inconvenient hospital protocols that I was required to follow, I spent the few years between Toby and Elsa dreaming of a peaceful, quiet home birth in the water. I know that many women do not dream of birth. And I believe that home birth is not for everyone. And I do understand the reasoning behind wanting a more conventional birth. But one of the most beautiful parts of my experience with Elsa was her birth. It was absolutely my dream birth, but without the live baby that I had dreamt of. And Elsa's death was not as a result of me being out of the hospital. She died two days before she was born. End of story...no speculation. Her birth was just as easy and quick and complication-free as Toby's was (minus the whole not finding a heartbeat part). So if everything goes as planned, this baby will either be born at home or at the birth center. And I will have two very experienced midwives there, along with one or two apprentices. And believe me when I say that I did a lot of praying, researching, consulting with perinatologists, and soul searching before I came to this decision.
Am I going to do anything different? Already, I am hyper-aware of this baby and his movements. I count them all the time. Before Elsa died, I never had one. single. problem. with any aspect of pregnancy or childbirth. I never expected anything to go wrong. The day before she died, I had a prenatal appointment and everything was just perfect. I did not expect her to die. Not. at. all. It was one of the biggest shocks I have ever experienced. It was traumatic and yet beautiful...very tragic, if it were the end. Thankfully it is not. But so far, we have had a more in depth ultrasound (than we had with Elsa) at 18 weeks and we looked for any potential problems in the cord (and elsewhere). I'm happy to say that this baby looks absolutely perfect. And I plan on having two more ultrasounds before and up to 38 weeks (Elsa died at 38.5 weeks), and thereafter if needed. I do not think that any extra ultrasounds would have caught Elsa's umbilical hematoma, but I will feel a bit more reassured knowing that the blood is flowing freely through the cord.
I have had several people say to me "hopefully your doctor will induce you early, considering what happened with your last baby." And while I do not look down upon any other angel mamas who choose that option for the next "rainbow" baby (because it is such a mental and emotional decision), I will not choose that option for myself. Induction with Pitocin would greatly increase the risks of childbirth, and causes a cascade of interventions. 60% of all mamas induced with Pitocin end up having a c-section. In our country more than 1 out of 3 mamas have c-sections (33%), when only approximately 2-4% would be required if birth took it's natural course. A c-section is a major abdominal surgery, which greatly increases morbidity and mortality in mamas and babies.
Last of all, I never have considered the 'what ifs' surrounding Elsa's birth. How can I? For one thing, it doesn't do any good. I can't go back and change anything. And it won't make any difference to my future babies. How would I have known that I needed to be induced early? Believe me when I say that IF I had known, Elsa would still be here. I most certainly would've done ANYTHING to keep her alive. I would've been induced early. I would've had a c-section. If I could've known and if it would've helped...but I did not know. And to be honest, no doctor or midwife would induce a mama before 38 weeks for no medical reason. Remember that everything was fine. Normal the day before she died. It's because of all this that I know she is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE! I know that it would've worked out if she was supposed to live. And I've spent a good part of the last 8 months wishing that it could've worked out. And because I know that, I know in the same way that God is in charge of this baby too. I am not taking any unnecessary risks though. I'm going to do everything I can to make sure this baby gets here alive. And I believe that an out of hospital birth will get this baby here the same as a hospital birth would.
Because I am a religious person and I am very interested in childbirth (to the tune of possibly someday becoming a midwife myself), I agree with the statement made by a fellow spiritual pregnancy/childbirth advocate Felice Austin when she says "God is very interested in the way in which His daughters birth and how His children come to this world." This statement comes from this blog entry...a VERY interesting read.
Thank you to all of my caring friends and family for your support and well-wishes. More prayers are always appreciated. I can literally feel the prayers and the holy ghost carrying me through these times.









8 comments:
Katie-
I said this on your FB page, but I wanted to repeat it here. You are an amazing woman, a brilliant woman, and one of the strongest women I know.
The experiences you have lived through have made you strong in ways many people are not. They have made you thoughtful and opinionated in topics that many people never think of. And your strength and intelligence allows you to discuss your thoughts in an open, honest and non-threatening manner.
Birth is definitely your decision, and you'll make the choice that is right for you and your child, because you're a mom, and that's what you do. I'm proud of you.
- Jess
Go Kate! You are the only person that knows what is best for you, your family, and the way you decide to birth. I am really leaning toward a home birth, or at least a water birth for the next one. The hospital people here drove me nuts with Teslyn's birth.
These are beautiful and well written thoughts. I just read Elsa's birth story and bawled. It is really so incredibly beautiful and your perspective on it is God(dess)like. Thank you for your strength and courage.
I don't know if you have already done this because I haven't seen all of Felice's documents yet-- but have you submitted your and Elsa's story for "The Gift of Giving Life book"? As I was reading I kept thinking... this woman's story could help SO SO many women. I know it is a hard thing to share but if you feel prompted we would LOVE to have it-- along with any spiritual lessons and insights you've gained from her birth. You can email it to ldsbirthstories@gmail.com
Again, so beautiful... and so incredible.
oh and I just read the post about Elsa's funeral and... I bawled some more... my little girl is 8 months right now and so they would have been around the same age. Knowing what you've gone through has made me remember how precious life is and to be SO grateful for every moment we get.
The other thought I had when I was reading your post was how incredible it was that you got to have her at home. I've had both my babies at home and the spirit that enters your home is so incredible and it doesn't really leave. I can only imagine how strong her spirit is in your home and how incredible and healing it must be to be able to feel that.
Anyway, I'm sorry to ramble on but your story has really moved me. Thank you so much.
Kate, I must say you are a powerful woman!!!! I am grateful to have known you through of course one of the most wonderful places on earth, Brighton.
You definitely have the say in where you give birth. In my opinion, I think that if you were to have given birth at a hospital you would not have had the wonderful bonding time you had with Elsa after she was born. You and your family had a wonderful time to be with her, take pictures with her, etc. I think not having that time with her you would be missing something special that can carry you through these days.
I can't imagine what you have had to go through, but I strongly believe that God knew what would happen and that having that time with her would be priceless. Again, having her at the hospital you would not have had those special moments with her and your family.
Love you Kate, (Troi as I will always know you as).
Kate,
I admire your tenacity your intelligence and your love of things natural. I wish I had your "body" to do what you have done.
I am saddened by the decision I have to make in regards to Elias' birth but I also know that as his mother it is my decision to make. I want him here safely and therefore I choose rather sadly the highest intervention I can because having Elias here safe is the ultimate goal.
Love you dearly and wish you lived closer. Wishes for a safe birth sent your way.
You know my feelings on this subject, but just wanted to say that I'm so excited for your next birth. I just feel like it's going to be such a healing experience (though perhaps a bit bittersweet with having a boy rather than a girl). I'm really impressed by the fact that you are using faith rather than fear to make this decision. You are cool!!
Awesome, just awesome. Thanks for everything Kate. You are the best. I'd write more but this little pumpkin on my lap is insisting I tell him what the b says over and over and over.