I just wanted to write a quick post to say thank you to everyone who left a comment on my blog entry 'defending home birth'. Your support and love and kind remarks mean the world to me. THIS is one of the reasons why I have been blogging since Elsa's death. I am SO lifted by the support I receive from many wonderful friends, family members, and even strangers who give me new perspective and strength.
I also wanted to say that I believe in medical interventions when needed and I understand how life saving and compassionate they can be. I truly believe there are situations where induction and c-sections are the best decision. When women have medical situations that require this level of care, they are a Godsend. Like I said before, I would have done any amount of medical intervention if I was in the situation to choose saving Elsa's life. But that was not my choice to make. And if Elsa's cause of death was something that had a great likely-hood of happening again, I would choose an early induction. But it is not any more likely to happen to one of mine as it is to anyone else's. It was a completely random fluke...and I can't live my life in fear and miss the beauty and joy that will come from another home birth.
Speaking of Elsa, I just wanted to share an experience that I had today. It has also been the lift I need right now. As you can imagine, everywhere I go I see mamas with their baby girls. I always think of Elsa and it saddens me greatly. Almost every day I hear of a friend or an acquaintance and the safe arrival of their precious baby. And I realize all the more that many babies don't die in this day and age. It is a stark realization to me EVERY.single.time. I hear of a birth. That my baby died for a reason...and I know for a surety that the reason is ALL she needed was a body and then she passed through to where she needed to be. And I have often wondered why it had to be mine instead of someone else's (not that I would want anyone else to go through this...but), and it hit me strongly that I was chosen or I volunteered because I am strong enough to do this. It is dang hard, but I am strong enough. I will make it. And if Elsa chose me for this, I am honored to be able to do it. And I would rather have her in my family then not experience the heart ache that it has brought. Someday it will only be joy.
And I will NOT give up faith or hope that I will have a live baby girl someday. I have always deeply felt that I would have children of both genders. And I know that I just have to wait...wait...
And I am so grateful that I am healthy and have easy pregnancies and births, as I know for many people this would be much more difficult.
And THIS baby boy is very wanted. I am attached to him and can't wait for him to come.
Our Dancing Queen
2 weeks ago









2 comments:
Kate, Thank YOU for your kind words. It has been a hard decision to intervene in what should be so natural and wonderful. I live the natural home birth vicariously through you and Emily. It adds a dimention to my life that I can't take willingly.
I can't wait for our boys to be born! They will be so close in age maybe even the same day. Who knows? Hugs.
I had the same strong impression that we had volunteered to have Winnie in our family. Weird, but very cool and very comforting.