school miscellany
2/07/2010 | Author: jefferies
Joshua is plenty busy with school this year...and it's only second grade.  We were told that second graders would only have 20-30 minutes of homework a night...but most nights he ends up spending 3 hours on his homework!  Part of that time is spent doing extra reading that is not required.  Part of that time is spent whining and procrastinating said homework.  And part of that time is due to the extra homework that he sometimes gets because of his quick advancement in reading and math.  We're really proud of him, but man oh man!  It can be hard work trying to get him to stay focused sometimes.

I have documented some of his recent projects and fun stuff:

 BONE diorama:
  This is a diorama that he made after reading all 10 books in the Bone Series, by Jeff Smith, in lieu of writing a book report for each individual book.  It was lots of fun, but also a lot of work!  The only things that I helped him with were getting proper (modest) clothing for the little polly pocket that he used to portray "Thorn", and I helped him glue and re-glue his little clay "Phone Bone" character together until it was stable enough to survive a day at school.  Now, don't go on getting too impressed with him reading 10 books so quickly.  They are graphic novels...so they are very easy.  The books remind me a little of 'Lord of the Rings'...and they are fun (I read them too).  My only complaint is sometimes too much skin showing in the illustrations (nothing a little permanent marker can't fix...but I don't recommend that action unless you purchase the books first).


RECIPE PROJECT:
  These next set of pictures are Joshua making cookies for his homework.  He had to write down his favorite recipe and then make it and submit a picture of him making it.  Yep.  Yummy homework.  He choose to make POWER COOKIES.  Yum.  I really liked this homework, since he is not a cooking kind of person by choice (unlike Toby).  I've been trying to get him interested in cooking more.  Maybe making cookies will do the trick!

CRAZY HAT DAY:
 
Eating breakfast in his crazy hat. Days like these are part of what makes school fun!

I look forward to many more years of homework and projects and creativity and learning together with my kiddos!
This entry was posted on 2/07/2010 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...