Elsa was born today, 9 months ago. Her spirit has been gone from her body longer than it was with us. And I have to say that I'm truly glad that she was here, despite the pain that it has caused. My life is richer. My boys are more precious. The current flutterings in my belly are priceless. The world is more beautiful. And sad. And real. The time I spend everyday pondering life's mysteries and God's mysteries, seeking answers and peace...those times have become priceless...and I am truly grateful for them. Sadness comes and sadness goes. Happiness is here to stay. Elsa's spirit is here to stay.
Let children walk with nature, let them see the beautiful blendings and communion of death and life, their joyous inseparable unity, as taught in woods and meadows, plains and mountains and streams of our blessed star, and they will learn that death is stingless indeed, and as beautiful as life.
JOHN MUIR
4 comments:
What a wonderful quote. Thanks for sharing that. I didn't know who John Muir was until we watched a tv series on the National Parks. I'm so glad people like him fought to save the extra special places in this beautiful country. We just returned from camping in Capitol Reef. I've been there before, but I have a new perspective, knowing now some of the sacrifices that were made to preserve places like it. I'm so grateful. It's such an incredible place.
Oh, that's hard, thinking of that day that brings time apart to greater than time together. Hard. Thanks for your very honest wonderful writing.
You always have such a way with words and beautifully expressing things that are already hard to say in the first place. You need to write a book...seriously.
Katie, I'm just reading about beautiful baby Elsa for the first time and wanted to express my sincere sorrow that you lost her. I'm glad you've been able to feel some peace amidst the pain.
I'm so sorry and wanted to let you know I'm shedding tears for you and your beautiful little spirit all the way over in Japan.
xoxo
Emily