sister friends + beach retreat
7/08/2010 | Author: jefferies
I have some friends here in Oregon who are like sister friends.  They are friends who are like sisters to me.  They were great friends before I lost Elsa, but in the time since I have lost her they are the ones who have given me regular support.  No judgment.  They have continued to call me and invite me over knowing full-well that I might talk about my grief the whole time...that I might talk about the same things that I have talked about before...that I may cry.  On days like April Fool's Day (which was perhaps the worst day of grief thus far) Tara brought me flowers or ice cream or something along those lines.  I will never forget.

Well, these girls really wanted to throw me a baby shower for this baby...but I really didn't want one.  So Tara, my natural-birthy minded friend insisted that we would have a blessingway instead.  A blessingway is a more spiritual, mother-centered type of baby celebration where the guests give positive thoughts for the mama, the baby and the birth.  Baby gifts are not involved.  (I just did not want more people expected to bring me baby gifts, considering that I still have many unused gifts...sitting in a box, waiting, hoping for 'someday'...that were given to me a year ago.)

Enter in the beach retreat.  Tara decided that we were going to rent a condo overnight at the beach, have a blessingway for me, a birthday celebration for another friend, and do a maternity photo shoot at the beach.

Kate, Katie, Dawn, Tara

 I wish that I had more pictures of the incredible decorations that Tara and Dawn put in a lot of effort to make and bring along to the condo, but all I have is the cupcake stand.  Notice how thoughtful they are to put birds on everything, which is very special to me as it symbolizes the presence of Elsa.

They presented me the beads to make this bracelet, to help me get through the time until I give birth.
The white beads symbolize faith and purity, the red beads symbolize heart, the green beads symbolize growth, the blue beads symbolize water (as I plan on having another water birth) and tranquility, the orange beads symbolize the fun and crazy personality that I still have buried somewhere underneath the grief and sorrow, and the black beads symbolize all the grief and sorrow that I have passed through.
The bird obviously represents Elsa, and how she has been here with me and will continue to be with me through all of these experiences.  

Tara and Dawn gave Katie (the birthday girl) and I pedicures.
I know this is a ghastly angle of my otherwise beautiful legs, 
but I just couldn't resist posting a picture of my little baby helper!

My cute little baby helper!

We drove down the Oregon coast looking for the perfect place to have a picnic lunch and do a maternity photo shoot:
We got caught behind a major traffic crash just outside of Seaside.  We waited for a long time for it to clear so we could get to Indian Beach, but it did not clear, so we went into the southernmost beach in Seaside instead.

Here's Katie and her cute little baby on the beach where we had our picnic and photo shoot.

(Tara's and Katie's babies were born within 11 hours of eachother...
just shy of a month after Elsa was born)

My hope for all of you out there is that you have people in your life that care about you as much as I know my sister-friends care about me.  I am so blessed to have these friends, my husband, my caring and sensitive boys, as well as friends and family who live far away...whom I know would be helping me in the same way if they could.

...maternity photos to come...
This entry was posted on 7/08/2010 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On July 9, 2010 at 10:53 AM , Katie Fox said...

<3 love ya!

 
On July 9, 2010 at 2:06 PM , SewSara said...

oh how wonderful!
i went to a blessingway for a friend once and i loved it.
so happy you have those great sisterfriends!!

 
On July 11, 2010 at 9:25 PM , Tara said...

I love ya, and you are definitely like another sister to me. And I know that you would be just as great of a support for me when I need it. You have helped me through so many things in the last 3 years. I feel very lucky to have you as a friend. And that beach weekend rocked! I think we need to go again next summer for sure.

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...