Halloween!
{I know I'm running behind on this one, but after I'm done with October I'm so much closer to being caught up since I don't have many adventures from November and December to post! So excited to be caught up, and then hopefully print a book for the year!}
Ever since Toby got a Star Wars video game for his birthday in June, the boys have wanted to have a Jedi Halloween {until they saw Voltron on Netflix and decided they wanted that, but I insisted against it...}. Jedi was very easy for me since I already made the cloaks for Joshua's birthday party several years back {it was so many years back that it was on my old blog...unbelievable! That should have been my first warning sign. Actually click here if you want to find that birthday part. It's really cute!}. I just had to sew a couple of pants and a sash. Looking back, I really could've done a better job on their costumes, but oh well. I had too much fun working on MY costume. At the last minute, on the night of the trunk or treat, I decided to throw costumes together for Brent and I in the Star Wars theme as well.
STAR WARS
We were wishing you a Happy Halloween {at the time}
from Luke, Ewok, Han Solo, Princess Leia, and Obi Wan Kanobi
I had a bunch of problems with the big boys' costumes. First of all, the cloaks {which I made for Joshua's 6TH birthday party, and I thought would still fit} were way too small. Sad. Also, I didn't measure for their pants, and those ended up way too big. And I couldn't find Joshua a white long sleeve shirt to wrap himself up with and tie a sash around. Coulda done WAY better. Oh well.
Ollie on the other hand, wore his little friend (who is 11 months older than him) costume from last year, which we had been planning on doing for many months. Only it was too small too because Oliver is such a TALL boy! He was busting out of the costume.
Then there was Brent's Han Solo costume. I had less than 30 minutes til we had to leave, and I looked at a picture of Han Solo and got major inspiration. It's a good thing he was being a good sport because I handed him my jeans to wear...yep that's right, he's wearing MY pants! Han wears tight pants, Brent does not. I have not laughed as hard all year, as I did when I handed Brent my pants. They were a perfect fit. We must be the exact same size...go figure! Then he wore his black galoshes, and a funky blazer over an oxford shirt. But the other funny part, which I WISH you could see in the picture, was that I made him a belt. It consisted of a child safety seat strap and buckle wrapped up in aluminum foil. PERFECT! Such a great Han Solo for 30 minutes of prep time.
Finally, on to the costume of which I am most happy:
Leia!
I had 3 yards of white stretchy fabric laying around, so I folded it in half and pinned the fabric in a T-shape...where I wanted the seams for the body and the sleeves. I sewed that and cut off the excess. Then I cut a slit in the top for my head, and sewed on a strip of fabric folded in half for the mock-turtle neck...to give it a more defined look, like the real Leia dress. Then I took a wide elastic band and fit it around my waist...and decorated it with cut out cardboard shapes covered with aluminum foil. Then there was the hair. The HAIR! I do NOT have enough hair for those big buns, so I made a head piece with a coat hanger, cardboard and brown yarn (which I already had at my house). I wish I had taken pictures of the step-by-step process of making that, because it really came together so well! I was most pleased with the outcome. Just think, earmuffs with yarn wound up and glued with a hot glue gun on the cardboard, which had a hanger punctured through and twisted up. For a nice finishing touch, I wound yarn around the hanger so you couldn't see it. Then I put pigtails in my hair, positioned the muffs over the pigtails, and wrapped my long pigtails around the yarn earmuffs. That way it looked more like my real hair! I threw this all together in about 2 hours.
After the trunk or treat, we had a little soiree at our friends' house. We made skeleton face mini-pizzas, and had other spooky treats.
cutest little ewok, no?
But Ollie's favorite event was bobbing for apples!
{one of his favorite foods!}
It was so much fun to watch Oliver getting so in to the festivities this year!
The only question left in my mind is what would Elsa have been if she could be here celebrating with us? Yoda?










0 comments: