August 17, 2010
8 days old
Oliver:
Olive tree. The Olive tree signifies beauty and fruitfulness and dignity. The Olive branch is the symbol of peace. We chose Oliver for many reasons.
1) My great grandmother's name was Olive, so it was kind of a family tie
2) We need a peacemaker.
3) Every forest I went to this summer I heard a lovely bird call. It was the call of the swainson's thrush. I LOVE this bird call. It is very nostalgic to me. I heard it for three summers as I perched atop
a zipline platform high in the trees. The bird's call would echo through Dobie's Dell at the most
beautiful place on the earth. Brighton, Utah. Click here to listen to the Swainson's Thrush.
I suggested Swainson as a middle name, and Brent didn't like it. He asked me if the bird had
another name. I told him the other name is the Olive-backed thrush. Brent said 'why don't we
name the baby Oliver?'
we plucked this baby from the river
Silas:
Of the forest.
We had the most difficult time deciding on a middle name. That was what most of the hold us was with deciding his name. We weren't for sure about Oliver until we found a middle name that we would love with it. Oliver is born in the land of forest. We find peace and contentment being there often.
We also loved that Silas was a person in the New Testament who was an early convert to Christianity. He was one of the Apostle Paul's mission companions. We thought that it was the perfect name.
this leaf fell right on top of our baby
Oliver Silas.













1 comments:
Those pictures are so beautiful! He is just darling! Congratulations to you and your family.