kayaking birthday!
12/16/2011 | Author: kate
End of Septemberish-
Brent had another birthday!!  Yay!  He had the day off and we were sitting around talking about what we wanted to do while the boys were at school.  Somehow the conversation turned to kayaks, and how much Brent would really like one.  We've had this conversation before.  Several times over the duration of the past two years.  I.am.scared. of Brent going out on the river by himself.  I *know* he would probably, most likely be fine.  But I have a really hard time trusting "probably" and "most likely".  I've been let down by them in a big way TWO TIMES.  Once was my dad when I was 10, and then Elsa of course.  So...I've always managed to steer him away from the idea of getting a kayak.  I already get in enough of a panic when he comes home late from work.

BUT...I know this is not a healthy attitude.  I know that Brent needs to be trusted.  I know that I need to loosen my iron fist a little.  So after he PROMISED to be VERY, very careful and ALWAYS wear his life jacket...I gave in and we started searching craigslist for a used kayak for his birthday.  It turned out we found a great deal that very day and went to pick it up.  After retrieving the boys from school, we drove to the river to try out the new kayak!




Then Toby wanted to get in and try it:
 it turns out it's a little tricky with a kid on your lap

Then Joshua wanted a turn too:


 and if having Toby in there were tricky, having Joshy in there was downright dumbfounding


 ahh...that's right, this kayak was only made for one guy


HaPpY bIrThDaY
to the best, darn guy I know! 
We came home and feasted on delicious leftover carrot cake from Costco.  Thanks to the lovely ladies at Brent's work for sending it home with him so I didn't have to make one!

Brent has since used his kayak several times.  The first time he went along the river, I followed along on the bank almost the whole way to make sure he really knew what he was doing.  Hahaha!  I think he's going to be ok!
This entry was posted on 12/16/2011 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...