If ever I had a second family, they are my beloved Norwegian family. I met Marianne when I was in first grade. By second grade we were best friends and spent all our spare time together. We went to family dinners, sleepovers, camping trips, boating trips, vacations, to church, and much more together. Marianne's family taught me so many things. Health, fitness, feminism, acceptance for those of different faiths and different opinions, and respect to name a few. Marianne's family took me in the week after my dad died (when I was 10) and kept me busy and safe. Marianne's family moved to the Seattle area the summer after 8th grade, and we tried to keep in touch but eventually drifted apart. Several years ago I got back in touch with her parents and then Marianne, and now that we're living in the Northwest we try to get up there to see them every once in a while. Marianne's parents Inger and Alan are so gracious to allow us to come stay at their lovely waterfront home.
Katie+Mar=bestfriends4eva! And I'm pretty sure that Inger is the bestest 2nd mom anyone ever had (besides my mother-in-law, Jane :). And if that wasn't enough, our two little guys are only three weeks apart! Goody gumdrops!
Later that evening we went to a fun little Halloween party at Mar's older sister's house:
the festivities abounded, as pumpkin carving, treasure hunts, very spooky decorations and dinner were enjoyed by all! It was really good to see Marianne's older sister again too!
The next day was great because even though it was cold, the rain cleared up for the afternoon and Alan took us on a boat ride! Inger packed a delightful picnic lunch.
Joshua and Toby LOVED going on a *fast* boat. They ride on our slow boats all the time, so this was a thrill ride!
{just an aside, Toby decided on his own that he is an Oregon Duck fan. The rest of us are neutral.}
such well-behaved boys!
ah...I LOVE these ladies.
one of my favs... hydrangea.











2 comments:
Ha ha - you are as bad as me, posting about Halloween in December. :)
Looks like a great time. And leave it to Toby to pick sides!!