Beautiful Soul
10/20/2008 | Author: jefferies
Yael Naim
We had the incredible opportunity to see Yael Naim in concert here in Portland last week. It was such a fabulous performance. She is an Israeli singer songwriter who has lived in Paris, France for many years. Her music is a complete mix of Hebrew, French, and English ranging from folk/beautiful ballads to edgy jazz. Her guitar playing is lovely, her piano melts my soul, her voice is so beautiful and unique...but mostly it was her lovely, sweet, engaging personality that stood out and swept us off of our feet. By the end of the show I was teary from laughter and love of this musician. Near the end of the show she was playing her most known song "New Soul" (which I love for many reasons) and at the end, before she finished the song, she got off her piano (her band was puzzled) and instructed the audience to sing the "ah's" to finish off the song. The audience got divided into three parts, which she quickly taught us...and then she stood up in front of us all and directed us (choir style) to the end of the song. Beautiful. Touching. Energizing.
I strongly recommend that you go view the music video for New Soul on YouTube. (I would put the clip on here, but I can't figure it out.)

Keeping it real:
I just have to say why this song means so much to me. I discovered it last year during Joshua's kindergarten year from hell. It was at the point where I had just about hit my lowest point. I could no longer take the negative comments from the teacher and the principal almost every day and felt that Joshua (a new and different beautiful soul) was greatly misunderstood and misjudged. This song pretty much described how I felt at the time and surprised me with HOPE for a happy end. I especially appreciated that the person making the mistakes wasn't asking someone to make her "normal" but tried to take others "by the hand" to go "far away" and see a different perspective. OK, now you can see why I was crying by the end of this concert. But the good news is, that at this time in life it is a cry for remembering hard times only. It is not a cry in the present tense. For this year, it seems as though Joshua never had any problems in school. And this end boosts my confidence so much because this was the end that I suspected all along. I always knew that Joshua would mature and grow out of his issues and it appears that he is and has. It just goes to show that the mother's intuition is always right!
yAeLnAiM official website...eNjOy!
This entry was posted on 10/20/2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 comments:

On October 21, 2008 at 8:37 AM , Windybrook Spinner said...

Thanks Troi. I've never heard of her, but will definitely check her out. I love her scarf. =) I'm so glad things worked out for Josh. Kindergarten is rough. Public school is rough. I'm beginning to suspect that raising a child in general is very rough. Hugs.

 
On October 21, 2008 at 8:42 AM , Windybrook Spinner said...

I loved that music video! It was darling and touching and beautiful.

 
On October 21, 2008 at 8:39 PM , Rachel said...

I love that song! I bet that was so fun to see her.

And I'm so happy to read about your happy feelings and Joshy's/Your road in life.

 
On October 23, 2008 at 10:21 PM , Rebecca and Nick said...

You are such a good mom. Josh wouldn't have made the progress he has without your love and patient guidance, I am sure of that! Mother's intuition is right!

 
On October 24, 2008 at 7:38 PM , Ariana said...

Ditto to Rebecca! :) You guys are great parents. Glad 1st grade is going better....

Love the song too by the way :)

 
On November 5, 2008 at 12:38 AM , Kate said...

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments. I feel "hugged" from every one of you! You are dear to me.

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...