Tomorrow we are leaving for this small Bavarian village in the Washington mountains. Every year they have the most excellent Oktoberfest! It has always been our family's tradition to go to Oktoberfest, since my dad is 100% German.I will be running the Leavenworth Oktoberfest Half Marathon on Saturday. I am excited, but a little nervous. It has been a few years since I have run these distances. I started training a little late, and did a little too much in too short of a time. Thus, I have been nursing an overuse injury in my knee for a few weeks. But I have run 10 miles on it and now it actually feels 95% back to normal. I feel ready. This is supposed to be a pretty run along a river trail with the mountains and autumn leaves as a backdrop. I've also heard that they have polka bands playing along the route! They have a costume contest for folks who run in their German attire! And the 1-3 place prizes are authentic German beersteins! Not that I would win, but if I did I would ask for rootbeer in my stein.
Wish me luck!









2 comments:
Oh, Kate! I love your blog! From the subaru man to the enchanted forest,and now an oktoberfest half marathon! You guys look like you are having a great time! It makes me a little bit envious. Vegas is great, but I am counting down the 4 years until we can settle someplace really beautiful, and have adventures in trees and forested places. Maybe it's Twilight that's got me thinking that way. Was it fun for you, knowing you are close to where it takes place? I am almost embarrassed to admit, I am almost 200 pages into the third book. I just started reading last saturday. Anyway, good to see what you guys are up to, and good luck on your race! You'll do great!
So I was thinking of you this morning on my walk with Sam to school. Yesterday I was asked to serve in the Primary Presidency of our newly formed ward (we just split before conference). I was thinking that other than piano playing in there, I had no primary experience. Then I remembered when I first moved to the U and we were in a presidency together with Karen Scheffer. I wish I had paid more attention to what sharing time was then since now I will have the opportunity to do it and I don't have a clue what it is still. Live and Learn I guess.