a romp through the woods
10/17/2011 | Author: jefferies
It has been years since we last did our family pictures.  Having my friend as a very talented, creative and busy professional photographer has given me lots of food for thought in designing our family pictures.  They should be fun for the whole family.  They should display your family's personality and what you enjoy doing.  Including food helps the kids to enjoy it more.  So I spent the last year planning these pictures and slowly gathering and purchasing the items I wanted for them.

My first idea was to have colorful clothes and shoes in the woods.  But I was having a hard time finding the kind of shoes I wanted.  So then we thought of using rain boots instead, and that was pretty much perfect...since we live in the Northwest and use our rain boots a lot in the winter.  Then I imagined the bow ties and blazers would be a whimsical pairing with the shorts and rain boots.  And I wanted a yellow dress, but the one that caught my attention was more than I was willing to pay.  So I decided to make one.  Without a pattern.  Just by copying another dress that I really like.  

So this was A LOT of work to put together.  And because of both of our busy summer schedules the photo shoot kept getting put off.  And also because I majorly procrastinated on making my dress.  

Finally on August 5, Tara called me and tells me that we're doing the shoot that evening and I better hurry and finish my dress.  I whipped it together so imperfectly that I'm afraid I'll have to unpick the whole bodice if I want it to really look nice.  But whatever...it's crunch time, and this is what I came up with:
  
So we didn't get out to the woods with quite enough daylight left to take any actual pictures in the woods.  But we did get quite a few nice ones in FRONT of the woods:



We did some pictures of us eating nectarines while I played the guitar:






 I would REALLY LOVE this picture if Joshua and Toby were engaged with it and their eyes weren't wandering...ah well.  I think one of the cardinal rules in taking pictures, especially with young children, is that it is NOT ALLOWED for any one picture to be completely perfect.  Someone's gotta be goofy or looking away, or looking too fat or blinking for it to be real.

 some kid pics


We (mostly Tara) spent a lot of time making these felt birds and this sign so we could hang it all up in a clearing and take our pictures by it.  But we ran out of light.  So now we're on to phase two of trying to find a few extra minutes to snap a couple more shots before it gets all cold and rainy.  I wonder if I will be successful in convincing my husband and kids to dress up in those clothes again?

one really neat attempt to capture our family in the fading light.
This entry was posted on 10/17/2011 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

On October 17, 2011 at 11:13 AM , Kris said...

I love them! And the family one where the boys aren't looking is still great. I captures a real-life moment rather than a posed picture. And I'm super jealous of your yellow dress!

 
On October 17, 2011 at 7:12 PM , Rachel said...

What great pictures - they turned out beautifully! I especially love the galloshes. xoxo

 
On October 18, 2011 at 4:37 PM , Windybrook Spinner said...

Beautiful dress. I love yellow. Congrats on a successful family photo session--no small feat.

 
On October 18, 2011 at 7:07 PM , Cullen said...

Them are some wonderful photos! And your dress looked great! (quite the seamstress you are!)

 
On October 23, 2011 at 8:57 PM , Emily said...

I love these pics of your family! I totally agree with you though that when you have little kids it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get the "perfect" shot with everyone looking and not blinking or making a funny face. At least it reflects real life then, huh?

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...