The story starts with August 20, our 12th anniversary. Many discussions had been made and babysitters had been talked to about Brent and I finally taking a FUN anniversary trip somewhere NEW, and by ourselves...except, we would have brought Ollie because he's only one year old. But then we heard that Brent's brother Danny would be getting home from his LDS mission in Singapore and having his homecoming party the day after our anniversary. And because we don't want to be out of the family loop too much, we decided to go to Utah again...for the second time this summer. What nice family we are, huh? So we decided to plan our anniversary celebration in Utah, where my mom agreed to watch the boys for us. And that was very great! Then I had this brilliant idea: we should climb Lone Peak for our 12th Anniversary!! EPIC! That mountain is Brent's childhood backyard. He grew up playing on it. I've heard so many tales of climbing it, and yet we never have. We tried to once, when we were newlyweds. But we attempted our climb at the end of October, and so after about half way, there was too much snow and I turned into an icicle. Anyway, I thought that would be the BEST present for Brent. And I was very excited to be in good enough shape and not pregnant, so that I could do something like that! And to top it all off, Brent's brother Jonny and his wife Emily were going to come with us!! EXCELLENT! {I think I'll do a separate post all about Lone Peak}.
So, it was set...and for the second time in two years , we found ourselves driving to Utah on our anniversary!
8/20:
Ya know, the honest to goodness truth is that I LOVED driving to Utah on our anniversary. I know it doesn't sound romantic and great, but it gives us 14 hours straight to sit and talk to each other without any distractions. I am absolutely positive that we grow closer together on these trips!
clouds in the rear view mirror!
We stopped and had a lovely dinner in Boise at Goodwood Barbecue to celebrate our family birthday.
8/21:
On Danny's homecoming:
I really wanted to kick myself on this occasion because there were so many family members all in one place, and I didn't take one picture! So I had to be sneaky and borrow this cute picture off of Danny's *special friend*'s facebook profile picture. Sorry Mindy...I hope you'll forgive me...gosh, you kids are cute! Danny's homecoming reminded me a lot of Brent's because he had a girl there waiting for him. Now honestly, I wasn't *waiting* for Brent on his mission, per se...but I was VERY happy when he got back!
8/22:
This is the Place Heritage Park:
My mom had tons of leftover tickets to this park that she bought for all the guests she had staying with her this summer. It had been years since we have been there and it was fun to go see some real deal Utah culture!
brothee love on the train ride
{and wrong camera setting again...geez!}
inside a hogan with grandma and cousins!
it's funny to think that I actually miss this arid Utah dryscape. Something about it is just so...earthy.
For a couple of years we lived less than a mile away from this place while Brent was in graduate school...at University Village. I used to run past this park everyday, as I trained for two marathons while we lived there. MAJOR nostalgia!
SO bright! We don't often need sunglasses in Oregon.
breathtaking
LOVE Utah.
Now here's something incredible and random that happened- I just happened to bump into this amazing lady named Kris, whom I had only met on the internet. I recognized her and her family from her blog. Kris contacted me almost a year ago after she lost her beautiful little baby boy and it's been nice to connect with her ever since. What a lovely coincidence that we ran into each other, since we had been planning to meet but had been too busy on our previous trips. She invited us for dinner at her house the night before we left Utah, and that was lovely too.
Panning for *gold*:
how nice to get out of the hot sun for a while and splash in the cool stream!
here I am with my *gold nugget*
...but THIS by FAR is the best picture!
{sasparilla. mmm}
8/23:
Lone Peak, more on that later!
8/24:
A day to recover from Lone Peak:
We had a lazy morning, slept in, tried to get our bodies to move again after our HUGE hike. Then we *tried* to go out to lunch at the Silver Fork Lodge in Big Cottonwood Canyon.
for those of you who knew us "way back when", this is where we stayed the night we were married. Our reception was up at Brighton and we stayed here before leaving on our honeymoon. So in staying with the "anniversary" theme, we decided to take a BEAUTIFUL drive up here for lunch. Brent REALLY wanted a Reuben Sandwich, since this was the first place he ever had one. But by the time we finally dragged our bums up there, there had just barely switched over to the dinner schedule and would not serve us a Reuben. SO LAME! It was a charming idea...maybe we'll try again next summer.
Our next relaxing activity was to go to the park. Actually, we had hoped all our Salt Lake friends would join us there for a picnic. I guess our Salt Lake friends don't love us anymore though, because nobody showed up! :-( No joke! But honestly, it was pretty late notice, AND it was the first week of school for a lot of our friends there. So I really don't blame anyone. But I really hope we're all still friends and we can meet next summer!
it all turned out ok though. We got to enjoy one of our very favorite parks--Sugarhouse Park! And the evening was LOVELY...we had good cloud cover and it cooled off just a bit.
Ollie had a joyous time crawling through this tube and playing with his brothees and his deedle!
I'm so glad that my kids still REALLY love playgrounds...because I STILL really love playgrounds.
{and doesn't Toby have the BEST Nacho Libre smile?}
Next we made a little visit to our sissy:
It was honestly the most lovliest of Utah summer evenings. The kind where you can kick off your shoes and lay on the grass for hours, looking up at the clouds, finding the shapes they make.
We are SO grateful that Elsa's resting place is so peaceful and secluded. We couldn't have asked for a better spot for her! And it was SO nice to be able to visit her just a few days after her birthday.
8/25:
Another relaxing day, this time with family. We made our own REUBEN sandwiches...and we invited Brent's nearby siblings to come and join us:
YUM!
8/26:
Trip back to Oregon:
Trip back to Oregon:
Malad River Gorge
This is a lovely little place we've stopped at before on our drive. It's just outside of Twin Falls. The first time we came here was a few months after Elsa died and we kept seeing {and hearing} Meadowlarks everywhere. This place has a special spot in my heart.
on this day we just got brilliant blue skies, larger than life sunflowers,
and some raging water far below.
our first rest stop back in Oregon...and the boys are doing push ups!
Get your BUM down, Joshua!
I can't stop staring at my adorable baby and also the sunset in the Colombia River Gorge, as we approach home.













2 comments:
Yay - now you're stuck seeing me every time you come to Utah!
We're glad you decided to come to utah to visit for your anniversary!
Those reuben sandwiches were delicioso! I wan't to make them again sometime. We ended up using those tix you gave us for Heritage park and we had a great time too!