This is the grave marker that we chose for Elsa in a rush to leave:
Before we left for Oregon however, we took one quick visit back to Elsa's grave and looked around at the other baby graves near Elsa's...we noticed that almost all of the graves were generic layouts and only had the baby name and date on them. Furthermore, just a few graves down there was another baby with the same exact graphic on it. And I realized that the graphic was pretty strange and creepy looking. That did not sit right with me.
When we got back to Oregon and they sent us this prototype, we stewed over it for weeks. Finally I asked if we could choose another graphic and change the wording a little bit. Our baby is so very special to us that we wanted her grave marker to be special and stand out, just like her name stands out and is unique, expressing some of the loves that we have in this life.
So after weeks of searching out new graphics, playing with wording and such, the good folks in Utah have sent us this prototype:
...which we have approved.
The fonts are not exactly my first choice, but it is so very difficult to communicate these things back and forth over email when we cannot sit in the office with them and a brochure with the font choices in front of us. And they have gone above and beyond by letting us send them a bird graphic, which they had to re-draw in order to adapt it for the grave marker. We are just so happy with the little bird and the changed wording, which means so very much to us.
Now they will make the marker, and they will have to wait until Spring before they can set it in over her grave. But that's ok with us. We are not going to go back to Utah before the Spring anyway.
So dear Elsa...we will see you in the morning [of the first resurrection], and that is the hope, faith and knowledge that is keeping us together in these times.











6 comments:
Oh you guys. It is just beautiful. I am glad you haven't been rushed into anything, that you were given plenty of time to create a perfect marker.
This is so wonderful. Time is a wonderful thing as it let's us bring things into focus. I glad you created something so beautiful.
GORGEOUS! I'm glad you found a layout that you love. The little birdie makes me happy...
Its PERFECT Kate!! I love it. That bird is so perfect too. I like the way they did the proof as well. What cemetery is she buried at?
I love it. I am glad you got to change it to make it special. It makes me cry though!
I LOVE the marker. It just fits so perfectly! What a special daughter you have!